This kit is the perfect place to start for those who are new to natural dyes, or simple for those who are interested in experimenting with color.
Includes 5 natural dye extracts and 3 mordants that will ensure lightfast colors that stand up to washing):
- Osage Orange
- Cochineal (not shown)
- Logwood Purple
- Aluminum Sulfate
- Calcium Carbonate
- Cream of Tartar
- Dust Mask and Gloves
- Instruction booklet
You provide fabric, yarn or fiber to dye.
Contains enough dye to color 4 lbs of fiber.
As shown in the instruction booklet, you will also need the following dye tools which you must keep separate from kitchen and cooking utensils:
- Dye Pot - stainless steel or canning type pot (16-quarts holds about 1/2 - 1 lb of yarn or fiber)
- Measuring cups and spoons - stainless steel recommended
- Glass quart jars or plastic containers - for dissolving dye extracts
- Heavy dish washing type gloves - 2 pairs for protecting hands from hot dye solutions
- Pails or large bowls - plastic or stainless steel for moving wet yarns and holding spent dyeing liquids
- Old towels - for cleaning, drying tools and emergency spills
Most of this, along with your dye supplies, can be stored in a canning pot, which can be purchased inexpensively wherever canning supplies are sold, then easily pulled out for dye projects.