Skill Level: An ADVANCED project only for the experienced doll maker.
A Joy's Waldorf Doll Making Kit for sewing a newborn size weighted Waldorf doll. Baby Jess, when complete, sits on its own, weighs 3-1/2 pounds, is 19" long and wears newborn clothes or you can sew a cozy cotton velour footy sleeper, hat and cotton flannel diaper from the included materials. This heavy baby doll warms up when being held, encourages nurturing skills and feels substantial in a child's arm or on a lap.
Why is this an ADVANCED kit?
You will be making sand pouches and stitching each of them onto the inside of the torso and legs which creates a challenge when stitching the legs to the torso. The shaped buttocks are created with a gusset, stuffed in a particular manner and sculpted with a needle. There is some sculpting of the face. Making this doll requires many steps and patience. It is imperative to use a sewing machine because of the weight. It is helpful that the pattern steps are very well illustrated with photos.
The extra-effort to make this wonderful doll is well worth it!
IMPORTANT! Please, read the list at the bottom of the description for additional supplies you will need.
What's special about our kits?
- You get reusable patterns along with a pattern booklet.
- We include plenty of wool stuffing for a firm doll. No need to purchase extra.
- There is ample yarn for a full head of hair.
- The wool provided is ideal for doll making.
- The instructions are step-by-step and illustrated with drawings or photos.
Age to Play: 3+
Footie Sleeper Velour Color: Pick your velour color from choices in the additional image. NOTE! Coral, Marigold and Root Beer are not available.
Eye Color: If you prefer a different eye color, please indicate that as well in the Velour box.
- Reusable pattern pieces for 19" doll, footy sleeper, hat and diaper
- Cotton Knit Waldorf Doll Skin
- Plenty of Eco Wool stuffing for a true Waldorf style doll
- Natural fiber hair yarn
- Inner head tubing
- Cotton Knit Velour fabric for the footy sleeper and hat
- Cotton flannel for diaper
- Cotton muslin for sand bags
- Sturdy square-ended stuffing stick
- Embroidery floss for facial features
- Craft thread and tying string
- Photo-illustrated step-by-step instructions
- Directions for 8 baby style "wigs"
Not included: 2 pounds of fine white sterilized aquarium sand is not included. You can use millet instead but the doll will weigh less.
In addition you will need:
- A sewing machine with #70 Schmetz Universal Needle *
- Good fabric scissors
- 3" doll making needle
- 5" doll making needle
- #7 embroidery needle
- Long straight pins with a ball head
- Joy's Copper Head Frames or tape measure
- Crochet hook size F
- Rouge crayon or powder blush
- Matching skin thread and velour thread.
Most of the above additional supplies can be purchased in our Doll Making section.
*This 19"-20" weighted doll needs the secure stitches from machine sewing.
RETURNS: Please note, doll making kits are customized products and not returnable.